วันอาทิตย์ที่ 8 กุมภาพันธ์ พ.ศ. 2552

Context clues

1. Momma seemed satisfied with my explanation that things had just not worked out between me and Mr. Amos, although she thought it a wasted opportunity she wanted me to have a rich husband.
- opportunity = a good chance


2. “He means that a rice and handsome man like him could not possibly fall in love with a nobody like you when he has a beautiful girl like me”.
- possibly = in accordance with possibility


3. I noticed that Aunt Mimi was talking about this old lady as if she wasn’t around any more. I feared the worst. Was she dead?
- feared = an unpleasant emotion caused by exposure to danger


4. I have to say that at this point I was feeling very confused. Five minutes ago my boss didn't want to be seen with me. Now he was saying he was crazy about me! What could be making him behave like this? Then, all at once, I realised it was the fruitcake special! Intrigue might smell great, but it didn't make a girl attractive to men. But my fruitcake perfume did.
- Intrigue = carry on an underhand plot


5. Momma and Aunt Mini were very pleased, of course. They went off together to plan the wedding and left me to get ready for the man they hoped would be my future husband. I was beginning to wish I hadn’t told them. After all, I had no idea why my boss had behaved towards me in that way.
- behaved = act or react (in a specified way
)

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น